Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Technologies


New Technologies


Every new semester in my collegiate classroom, I introduce the online library database system associated with the college in which I teach.  My students in quite a few of my classes have to write or perform some sort of research paper in my class or other classes so I bring this in early.  While college students are savvy in the ways of technology and their abilities to access such information, they are still very reluctant to utilize the online databases.  While this is a tool that all college students should be comfortable with, I do make the learning process fun and show them how easy it can be. I show the students not only how to access the databases, find the appropriate database to find the information, but also show them how to narrow down their searches. I do this while utilizing a smart board and make sort of a game out of the whole class.  

Most students are reluctant at first and groan when they have to do any research. I show them how to find information online through these databases, but when I show them how easy it is to grab an article, download it to their system for later and how to utilize the APA citation tool it becomes really simple.  I break it down to simple steps and how to build their APA reference page as well.  It's amazing that the papers that come in after I show them this lesson how clean they are in APA formatting and style. What used to be reluctant researchers are now eager students happy to get A's in their other courses on their large research papers. 

In reference to the below table, I am utilizing the Perceptual arousal method, with showing how to get their attention on using this tool.  I repeat the lesson a few times during the session to show familarity of the databases, and give them motivational tools during the lesson to show how this can help them not just in this class but in their entire educational process.

Throughout the lesson I stress this is a requirement (confidence) for all papers, and outline how successful their other papers will be if they use this type of tool, and modify and build from a template that I provide.  The satisfaction these students receive after turning in their first paper not only in my course but other courses, and seeing how much less work it was to utilize the databases is very rewarding. 

Table 1 derived from Keller, 1987.
Table 1 ARCS Categories
Attention
Relevance
Confidence
Satisfaction
A1 Perceptual arousal
A2 Inquiry arousal
A3 Variability
R1 Goal orientation
R2 Motive matching
R3 Familiarity
C1 Learning requirements
C2 Success opportunities
C3 Personal control
S1 Intrinsic reinforcement
S2 Extrinsic rewards
S3 Equity









Keller, J. M. (1987). Development and use of the ARCS model of motivational design.Journal of Instructional Development, 10(3), 2 – 10.

7 comments:

  1. It is great to know that there are college instructors who take the time to teach their students research skills. Research is going to follow them for the next three or four years of their studies....they might as well know how to conduct research well. They might even conduct research after college at their workplaces. To be able to access an online library is one of God's greatest gifts. :-) I remember having to set my schedule around public library hours. I remember how awful the card catalog system was and how noisy some libraries were (It was the Los Angeles Public Library). I also remember how some of the public library staff members did not know how to help me because they were volunteers who weren't accustomed to scholarly or academic research. Embracing technology when it comes to online libraries was one of the highlights of my academic life. Knowing the boolean phrases also help. I'm glad you are around to guide your students. A library can be a scary place for some students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you do that at the college level. I think so many college professors take for granted their students already have knowledge of online database technology. I work with my middle school students when I teach MLA formatting. I believe in the near future card catalogs will be utilized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri,
    Card catalogs will be utilized instead of online databases?

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very well thought out process, Cassie! Do you find that many of your colleagues are equally dedicated to integrating technology into the classroom? In public adult education, I find that our teachers simply are not...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassie,
      I liked your post and you are absolutely correct about the students when they realize that accessing information is easy, they relax and have fun with it. I do something similar with my Spanish students. They book a trip to any Spanish-speaking country they choose. Once they learn how to navigate the web and access information, they are so engaged that it is hard to tear them away from the computer.

      Delete
  6. Hi Cassie, Great blog! As a college instructor, step by step instructions work for college students. Your active duty is to build confidence and support. It is great that you are teaching APA to college students. My community college highly recommends the most important is MLA.

    ReplyDelete